Sunday, 1 July 2012

Earl Grey Butter Cookies

This weekend we decided to just spend around home. It was the perfect weekend for some experimental baking. Hendrik made the casserole. I made the cookies. I went for a walk to Coles to get some extra ingredients that morning, and also we went out for breakfast. It was sunny in the morning, but sunny in Melbourne doesn't necessarily mean it's warm. I didn't rug up enough and could feel the cold wind go right through me. By the time we got to the shopping centre my ears were stinging. On the way home I used a muslin wrap as a headscarf to try and keep my ears warm and out of the wind. Sunday I woke up with a sore throat, and I suspect I inflicted it on myself by not rugging up.

I made the following cookies inspired by this recipe for Earl Grey and Poppyseed Muffins - I make these all the time! I also used this basic butter cookie recipe to help me out.


EARL GREY BUTTER COOKIES

  • 125g Butter - softened
  • 1/2 Cup Caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups of plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 2 earl grey teabags
Preheat oven to 180'C (350'F). Line two baking trays with baking paper (yes two... I only did one and the biscuits ran into each other).

Put the milk into a bowl and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, until it's just warm. Be careful not to curdle it! Place the Earl Grey teabags in the milk and set aside to infuse.

Combine butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Add egg to the mixture and combine. Sift flour and baking powder, add milk mixture and combine.

Using a heaped teaspoon at a time, roll dough into balls and lay on baking paper. Allow PLENTY of space for them to spread! Flatten cookies with a fork.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment