A few days ago I noticed a few days ago that Luke had two tiny teeth pushing through. While he is no more cranky than usual, he has definitely turned feral. He seems a bit more restless than usual. And he talks a lot more as his coping mechanism. So much for me last week boasting to toothful babies parents about me not getting teeth until 9 months and that meaning I had better teeth.
This morning I woke up and forgot to make my husband lunch. I quickly scrambled some ingredients together as he finished getting ready and offered to take him to the train station. I really wanted to take him to the train station as it meant I could go and get a coffee before a lady comes to my house at 10. Yep, I'm starting another mothers group. With the Department of Education. One minute I'm abandoning all chances of working with them again, the next minute I'm voluntarily involving myself!
A trip to get coffee also is a chance to go to Coles and get any ingredients I may have missed due to forgetting to take the shopping list with me to Knox yesterday.
While in Coles I was looking for chopped onion in a can - because like many Aussies I hate cutting onion. I became angry that the canned tomatoes were in the vegetable aisle - tomatoes are a fruit. No canned onions anyway - in hindsight maybe I should have checked the canned fruit aisle.
I approached the express aisle with an onion, two carrots and three litres of milk. There was one lady on the whole checkout and because it was 8am it was very quiet. The lady was actually a young girl. I'd say it wouldn't have been long since she had left school. She didn't want to engage with any conversation. As I handed her my FlyBuy's card I asked if the whole $5 would actually count at me.
"I dunno!" She moaned.
I tried to make a joke about "tapping" my card on the eftpos machine to which she basically just rolled her eyes. Hey, I don't care if you don't like my joke, but cheer up. I'm the customer and you should provide me with magic moments that make me want to spend every day in your silly supermarket. Lucky I didn't pull the tomatoes-are-fruit-why-are-they-in-the-canned-vegetable-aisle on her.
I went to collect my bags and noticed she had put milk in one and the two VEGETABLES in another. Coming from the bagless state my recycling tendencies kicked in.
"Oh, it's okay, I don't need two bags!" I said as I started taking the vegetables out and putting them in the other bag. She completely ignored me and started serving the other customer and plonking more bags next to mine. She then snatched the empty bag away and tossed it in the bin under her register. So much for my effort to save the planet.
I felt so annoyed by this lady. Something I really value is good customer service. There are so many people, and might I add decent people, who are not fortunate to have a job in times when they are so scarse. I was thinking to complain about her to management, along with the fact that the canned tomatoes are in the wrong aisle. Instead I just walked out of Coles and felt really robbed of my shopping experience.
I was barely metres from the exit when I could hear a little voice behind me.
"Excuse me!"
I turned around and there was a little girl chasing after me.
"You forgot your purse".
And sure enough there was my big red wallet in her hand. I'm so lucky I only ever taught once at the school next to Coles so that kids can't remember the clumsy teacher.
My philosophy on this morning's events:
- I'm smarter than whoever it is that decides where things go in Coles.
- Don't dwell on negative things such as moody check out chicks - you might forget your wallet.
- For every moody check out chick in this world there is a sweet child wanting to make a difference.

No comments:
Post a Comment