Sunday, 4 March 2012

38 weeks and I'm deactivating facebook...

I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook.

I have 660 friends. I'm not actually sure how many of those 660 friends I actually know.

Back in 2007, I added heaps of randoms from Kendari. Kendari is a small town in Indonesia where everyone knows everyone, so I usually had at least one mutual friend.

Then in the last year, it seems every one is on Facebook.

Facebook has changed the way we interact with each other. And while I don't think it's a bad thing, people don't sms me or give me a call anymore. I don't receive snail mail and to be in 'the loop' you need to have religiously read Facebook 10 times a day.

Facebook isn't all bad. Being a fat pregnant lady on the couch it has given me something to think about and waste my time with.

But it's going offline, very soon.

People sometimes don't understand Facebook etiquette. People don't understand that it's not just like catching up for an online coffee with friends. So many people have harassed me for a picture of my growing pregnant belly. Do people not understand that this isn't just like me showing up at your house to show you? That perhaps it's a little more like publishing it in our local paper? (Well, if I have 660 friends and my hometown has 600 people in it... get the picture?)

Because people don't seem to get this, I've made a decision to temporarily deactivate Facebook. The baby will be coming any time now, and I know that information will 'leak' and people just can't help themselves. I hate to think that information will be circulating on Facebook when I haven't even had the chance to announce this to my friends and family.

Just like I don't understand people asking about how long the labour was and how the baby was finally delivered? Does it matter what end it comes out of? I don't regularly talk about my private bits with anyone, let alone on Facebook! (Although I'm quite happy to talk about it if you make the time for me... off Facebook).

Agh, I sound like such an emo-child in this post. Hopefully when I've had the baby all of these horrible angry hormones will go away!

No comments:

Post a Comment