Hey all, I'm deactivating Facebook until the end of March... But I'm still around, you can contact me this way, this way or this way... [inserting various other online methods of communication, Facebook being the only one I'm actually closing].
This was an interesting social experiment. Suddenly people were worried about how they would know when the baby was born. It makes me wonder what we would do pre Facebook, where a baby was born and we'd have to wait a good 48 hours at least, or sometimes until the next weekend, to read it in the paper.
I'm pretty sure my Mum didn't have an address book of 660 so called 'friends' and call them up, write letters, or just turn up randomly at their house and write on their 'wall' that I was born.
Having a baby is such an exciting time, and I think that it's a special time that should be shared between close friends and family, not the 'world' within the hour of the childs birth. Instead I have been getting demands that I contact people as soon as the baby is born (believe it or not, some people want to know when I'm in labour.)
Back to my social experiment, I found it interesting the responses I found by putting that Facebook status up. Some people genuinely (and I genuinely thank these people) sent me an email wishing me well. Others wished me well on the status which was great too. Others complained like their arm had fallen off.
The thing is, dear readers (do I even have any??), that there are other ways and means that you can contact people without Facebook. This doesn't mean that Facebook is useless, it has brought worlds together like never before. But what happened to the days where we emailled each other, picked up the phone and talked for hours, wrote letters. Now we're all just like stalkers - we can just watch what other people are doing without actually interacting with each other.
This isn't the first time I've been without Facebook. When I went back to uni I did a 'puasa facebook' (facebook fast) and I found myself to have more time doing not only my assignments, but loving doing things I'd normally waste time on.
Really, through all this I just want my privacy, my baby and my family's privacy respected. Pregnancy has been the hardest thing I've been through and it's not over yet. I need time and space to adjust to how I'm feeling and going to feel. The reality of having a child of my own is a really big thing, and in my mind I'm still adjusting and will take some time to adjust, and I want people to respect that.
You have my number, you have my email. I'm more than happy to send a picture to those who actually make the effort :)
No comments:
Post a Comment