Thursday, 24 May 2012

My favorite places

For those who follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, you will know that I participate in a monthly photo a day challenge. It was created by a blogger whom I look up to, Chantelle (her blog - 'Fat Mum Slim').

I like doing this every day as it gives me a goal. Life can be repetitive with a newborn and this gives me something fresh to think about daily. Sometimes I use old photos, sometimes I actively search a subject. I then edit and publish via Instagram.

On the 19th of May the challenge was to capture my favorite place. But then I thought, I don't just have one favorite place...

Here are just a few:

1. Jakarta
Me at 'Monas' (Monument Nasional)
in Jakarta.
I always thought I'd hate Jakarta. I had only ever been to the airport when I'd been to Indonesia and that was just boring and hot! Then when I met my husband, I went there (as he is from Jakarta). I must admit I have a love-hate relationship with Jakarta. I like the malls, but they lack the true Indonesia I learnt to love. I love the food. I hate the traffic. But I really like getting together with family over there. Every time I come home I cry because I really do, deep down in my heart, love Jakarta. Usually when we are there we visit Bandung, and I really like the shopping there. There are lots of factory outlets. Although I'm beginning to get a little bit bored with it...

2. Pinnaroo
The Pinnaroo Post Office
Another place I have a love-hate relationship with. For those who don't know, it's a small town on the Victorian and South Australian border, on the South Australian side. It has a population of about 600 and is really on the road to nowhere. Significance? It's my home town. I lived there for the first 18 years of my life. And although it's so desolate and not much is happening there, it will always be home. And part of me always misses life there. I miss the small community but I don't miss the small town gossip. I miss going 'out bush' and to my friends farm for a bonfire. I miss going to Auntie Leanne's farm. I miss walking down the street and knowing everybody! I miss working for my Mum, and my Mum's house, the warm fireplace and the cat. It's a place that whenever I really want to go there I can't.

3. Bendigo
Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo
This is a place of significance because I studied here for 4 years. I miss the community and the friends I had there. Unfortunately, time moves us on though, and we have all moved on with jobs and family. We do although have the odd catch up. I miss everything being so close handy. I think I'm always going to be a country girl. Things I love doing in Bendigo: walking, catching up with friends, being lazy, exploring the area.

4. In my car
Roy.. I took this photo to advertise him for sale
Or... my old car. This is my first car. I bought him off my Gran. He was my Grandpa's car when he was alive. My Grandpa's name was Roy, thus, my car's name was also Roy. Roy is a 1988 Toyota Corolla. He has an automatic transmission with no power steering and manual windows. I got him when I was 17, I had just got my P's (it was awesome living in South Australia) and he had barely done 80,000km. He was a tough car, and never cost a lot to fix. When I felt unwell I'd sit in Roy and I would feel better. I went so many places in Roy, we moved to Bendigo together, and I never wanted to sell him. Then I got pregnant, and we were looking at car seats and realised that Roy was not going to be practical. So then I sadly had to sell him. Luckily I sold him to my neighbour in Pinnaroo so I can visit him when I'm home! Now I have a 2007 Honda Jazz, and as much as it's a great car, it is no Roy. Even if I bought another corolla, they just don't make them how they used to!

5. At Church
From when the theme was '3D vision'.
I really like my Church. It's really big, and I never thought I'd like a big church. We connected with a 'Life Group' that met fortnightly on Thursday nights and really clicked well. I only just went back to Church last week, so 8 weeks after Luke was born. I had almost ruled out the thought of even going back, and began looking for something local, as I didn't now how I'd go about Luke being in such a big place. But I really enjoyed going back. We sat in the parents room where I drank coffee, sang with Luke and listened to the sermon while feeding on nice comfy couches! In fact, Luke is incredibly calm when we're at church. I even went to MOPS (Mothers of Pre Schoolers) yesterday which was awesome. I really love the 'community within the community' I've found there. (Which is awesome to find in such a big place!) I also really like the belief and heart this church has - a big view on social justice.

6. In my husbands arms.
Enough said. Home is were you are, honey. Love you!

Don't mind the stupid face from when we were younger.


No comments:

Post a Comment