Sunday, 19 August 2012

Big boy food!


That's right - my baby boy started solids today.

I had been suspicious that it was time to start solids as he has been incredibly unsettled lately, and would want me to feed him nearly every 2 hours.

As I am breastfeeding exclusively I thought I would start solids when he was 6 months. So, let's just say I am a month early as he will be 5 months this week.

As our Maternal Child Health Nurse suggested, we started on rice cereal. They suggest to start them on the blandest foods first and not fruits so that they don't get a fussy sweet tooth. 

I have heard so many stories from other mothers that their babies don't take the rice cereal, and I know why - as soon as I opened the package and had a sniff - it smelt like fish food.

I mixed it together with some breast milk I have stored away in the freezer 'for a rainy day'. We sat him in the corner of the couch and put a bib on him. Hendrik heaped it into a spoon and offered to Luke...

... Gulp! 

He took a big spoonful... and another... and another... and another...

He ate most of what we had. I couldn't help but feel proud, but a sense of fear as my baby grows up.

What a fun new adventure this will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment