Tuesday, 28 August 2012
My colourful family
So I was sitting here pondering about my family and how diverse we are and thought I'd share it with you, my blogging community.
Even before I married an Indonesian (which may I add was my life long dream) my family already was very multicultural.
See, my sister's boyfriend is Indian. My cousin's husband is from Chile.
Now here's where it get's confusing.
My husband is from Indonesia but is Chinese.
Many people can't get their head around this. Let me explain.
It's like how I am Australian but not Indigenous. My husband is a 2nd generation Chinese in Indonesia. Many people ask "which one is Chinese, Hendrik's mum or dad?" .... "neither" *confused looks*.
Hendrik does not speak Chinese. Not mandarin. Not cantonese. Indonesian. Sundanese. English.
My sister in law is here at the moment. Her husband is from Chile. But is Australian.
Me? I was born here. So were my parents. And my grand parents. And my great grandparents. And probably my great, great grandparents too. I am English, Welsh, Scottish and German to be technical.
I think I've done well for a typical white-Australian-cultureless-outback background!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment