Monday, 3 September 2012

A handmade gift & Daddy's first Fathers Day

I'm pretty sure I've told you this before - in our house we don't worry about how much we spend on giving gifts. We do like to make things for each other.

Being Hendrik's first fathers day, Luke and I decided to make something special. In my mind it all seemed to make sense. But it didn't quite turn out how I intended.

Oh, no, Mum... Not more... Finger painting???
 
A simple terracotta pot from Bunnings




Clouds

Sun

grass

Must make lots of green paint - it's so hard to make the exact same shade twice if there's not enough!!

Luke wasn't too keen on 'finger painting' so we did toe-painting instead!


I helped out by doing some finger painting

"If fathers were flowers...


"... I'd choose YOU!"
(But clearly it should say pick, not choose! You pick flowers not choose them! Duh!)


I checked the forecast for Sunday and saw that it was going to a fantastic day! So I quickly suggested to Hendrik that we should have a picnic for fathers day (which I was almost certain he would agree to!). 

I then got a fantastic idea to get him one of those silicon BBQ hotplate covers - basically it's a cover you put over the BBQ so that you don't get the last persons bird poo all over what you cook! So it was off to Bunnings where Luke had his first real trolly ride!



I got him one of those scrapey BBQ things too. And a Solar Light. Daddy loves Solar lights.




My original plan was to spray varnish on the pot and plant some potted colour inside. The purpose of the varnish was to seal it and make it waterproof. But the lady at Bunnings said that it probably would make the acrylic paint run. Obviously I hadn't thought this through enough. The lady suggested something else that *may* work, but I thought it would be a waste to spend so much money on something I would only use once and could potentially also ruin our artwork. 

So it must be an inside pot now. Any suggestions of good inside pots? (Mum? Leanne???)


My secret hiding place - disguised as a box of 'too small' clothes!



Sorry for the two photos of the same thing - I simply could not choose which one of Luke was cuter!

Fathers day was excellent - I made Hendrik a scrambled egg breakfast with all the left overs in the fridge - Daddy loves eggs!



Fathers day was fun! Despite it being incredibly windy we did have a lot of fun going down to the park which was conveniently next to our local Coles and enjoying the sunshine and a great BBQ - something that we definitely will be doing a lot more of!

Daddy cooking our first family BBQ on his first ever Fathers Day

Luke enjoying the sunshine, fresh air and grass!



No comments:

Post a Comment